Thursday, October 30, 2008

Books, Books, and More Books

Today over at 918moms.com, my fellow blogger, Late Blooming Mom, asked: what are your recommendations for must-have children’s books? And as a bonus, where in Tulsa do you buy books? I had to jump right on this one because although Bubs is only 2, I am an AVID reader so I wanted to start him early. (I think I have been successful as he most often chooses books with Mommy over “tar-toons” with Daddy.)

Here are some of our favorites:
All of the “David” books by David Shannon
Anything by Sandra BoyntonBrown
Bear, Brown Bear; Panda Bear, Panda Bear; and Polar Bear, Polar Bear by Martin & Carle
I Got Two Dogs by John Lithgow (Nannie just got this one for Bubs and it is already a FAV!)Dirt on My Shirt by Jeff Foxworthy
Little Boy by Alison McGhee
Harold & the Purple Crayon
Mommy by Maurice Sendak
Big Words for Little People by Jamie Lee Curtis (Bubs is actually getting this for Christmas)
The “If You Give…” books
Llama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna Dewdney (LBM, this is the correct author name)

When I was growing up and starting reading chapter books, my favorite was The Boxcar Children. Now there is a whole series. I have my old hardback just waiting for when Bubs gets older! I can't wait!!

Now you might be asking. . ."Okay, Mrs. "Avid Reader" Howell, what are YOU reading right now?" Well, truth be told, I have ventured back to my youthful side and have taken up with some teen fiction. . .yes, I am reading the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. My good friend Melissa recommended it. She knows I love to read lots of different things AND she heard that I was sick and there was subsequently a sick black cloud hanging over our house for a couple of weeks! So I got a copy. Not even half way through the 1st book, I ordered the entire set. I really dig the book and couldn't see myself just stopping at the end of this first "chapter" since they continue on. Since then I have come across so many friends who are also obsessed with these books. It is amazing. . .and fun that we all share diverse reading preferences and there are so many theories and opinions.

~KW

1 comment:

ThatsBaloney said...

Yes, those 4 books sucked a week and a half out of my life. My family didn't think I'd ever return!!
For kids books... have you read Skippyjon Jones? My kids LOVE those. Even Michael! They are really fun to read (with a chihuahua accent - did I even spell that right?)!

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers