Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I am the Going Green Mom. . .check me out at 918moms.com

This is the first post from my blog as the Going Green Mom at 918moms.com. I thought I would share it with you all. I also encourage you to visit the website. It is a the local website for moms, about moms, created by moms in the 918 area code. I promise you'll find something interesting, helpful, funny and relative!

In February, I took a huge step. . .I started a new job, leaving a company that I had been with for 8 years. Professionally, it was a good step. I had no idea that it would lead to a personal journey to reduce my own carbon footprint. . .
I now work with two ladies, T & V, who are passionate about recycling and it’s contagious. At first they would ask if they could take my empty water bottles, then they started carting my microwave meal boxes home with them to recycle, and one (*cough* V *cough*) has been known to walk in offices to make sure there are no Coke cans in the trash (granted, we actually have aluminum recycling bins in each kitchen in our 23 floor building).
Well, I started to feel guilty. I could easily take my own bottles and boxes home to recycle and the extra steps to the aluminum recycle bin would only add to my daily pedometer goal! So I got a paper grocery bag (now replaced by this cool reusable one!) and set it next to my desk for the bottles. Step one. I also have a bag for the boxes which I now collect from the 5 of us who are on Weight Watchers at work. Step two. And finally I took the biggest step of all. . .incorporating my family (namely my husband) into the process. My dear hubby is an environmental engineer after all (his precious OSU started as an AG college for goodness sake)! One would think this would be right up his alley. Um, no. So I strategized. . .what would make him want to get involved? Hmmm. . .ding, ding, ding! A trip to Home Depot!!! So we loaded up (in our SUV. . .sorry, I said I wasn’t perfect!!) and headed out in search of some supplies to make our recycling center. Because curbside recycling is not an option in our area of the 918, our plan was to set up bins in the garage and on Saturday mornings on our way to soccer we would stop off at the MET center in Jenks and drop off our glass, aluminum, plastic, and paper. Step three.
I am proud to report that these steps have added up. . .and led to more, so more blogs to follow! And with the help and suggestions of my passionate tree-hugging co-workers (love you, girls!), I am trying to make the 918 a better place. . .one step at a time.
~KW

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers